Performance of PH’s Top Non-Traditional Coconut Products Exports in February

Thursday, May 31, 2018

Official data from the Philippine Statistics Authority show 11 non-traditional coconut products generated revenue of more than USD100,000 during the month to qualify in the sector’s top exports list. These were: coconut water, virgin coconut oil, glycerin, coco milk liquid, coco milk powder, biodiesel, coir & coir products, frozen coconut meat, coconut flour, toilet/bath soap and coco peat/dust.

COCONUT WATER, this month’s top non-traditional export product, generated USD7.991 million from shipment of 6,126,610 liters.  The volume was 7.8% lower than year-ago at 6,646,585 liters.  The United States was almost an exclusive destination controlling 4,132,881 liters (67.5% of total), followed far behind by United Kingdom at 770,708 liters (12.6%), Netherlands 562,889 liters (9.2%), Brazil 425,584 liters (6.9%).  Limited volumes went to Canada at 91,308 liters, Taiwan at 43,092 liters (0.7%) and five other countries which shared 100,148 liters.

VIRGIN COCONUT OIL had gross export receipts of USD4.422 million from the sale of 1,271 MT and settled in the second place.  Total volume was down by 23.2% from year-ago at 1,655 MT.  Leading market was Germany at 302 MT (23.6%), trailed by United States at 282 MT (22.2%), Sri Lanka 126 MT (9.9%), Canada 110 MT (8.7%).  Smaller loads went to United Kingdom at 92 MT (7.3%), Brazil 90 MT (7.1%), Netherlands 87 MT (6.9%) and 11 other countries with combined volume of 181 MT (14.2%). 

GLYCERIN, which took the third spot, had income of USD1.457 million.  Tonnage at 2,001 MT fell by 29.5% from previous year at 2,839 MT.  Japan was the biggest market with commanding share of 1,229 MT (61.4%), followed far behind by China at 642 MT (32.1%).  Lesser volumes went to Iran at 41 MT, Turkey 32 MT, South Korea 21 MT, Romania 18 MT and Vietnam 17 MT. 

Fourth in rank COCO MILK LIQUID recorded proceeds of USD882,543 from delivery of 480 MT. Shipment during the month was 13.2% behind the previous year at 554 MT.  United States was principal outlet at 186 MT (38.7%), tracked by Japan at 95 MT (19.8%), Canada 58 MT (12.0%), Germany 57  (12.0%) and six other countries which shared the remaining 84 MT (17.5%). 

COCO MILK POWDER with turnover of USD761,884 from overseas purchases of 152 MT landed fifth. Delivery dropped by 37.4% from 244 MT year-ago.  France was the top destination capturing 66 MT (43.1%), followed far behind by United States at 20 MT (13.1%); Germany, Japan and Spain at 14 MT (9.0%) apiece; Taiwan 13 MT (8.2%); Malaysia 7 MT (4.5%) and South Korea 6 MT (4.0%). 

Sixth top export BIODIESEL had earnings of USD596,152 from dealings covering 224 MT (no export recorded year-ago).  There were only two country destination led by Germany at 210 MT (93.5%) and Japan at 15 MT (6.5%).

COIR & COIR PRODUCTS, which came in seventh, generated USD573,594 in foreign exchange income.  Tonnage was at 1,090 MT (7 MT year-ago).  There were only five country destinations with China leading the charge at 1,005 MT (92.2%), trailed by United States 57 MT (5.3%), Singapore 12 MT (1.1%), South Africa 11 MT (1.0%) and Australia 5 MT. 

FROZEN COCONUT MEAT  took the eighth slot after earning USD304,810 from trade of 85 MT (no export recorded year-ago). The shipment went almost exclusively to the United States at 74 MT (86.7%) and the rest to United Arab Emirates 11 MT (13.3%). 

COCONUT FLOUR was top 9 non-traditional exports contributing USD234,317 from shipment of 247 MT (36 MT year-ago). There were only five country outlets: United States 104 MT (42.0%), Vietnam 56 MT (22.7%), Australia 48 MT (19.3%), Mexico 22 MT (8.8%) and United Kingdom 18 MT (7.2%). 

TOILET/BATH SOAP held the tenth position and shared USD153,066 from transactions involving 102 MT(538 MT year-ago). United Arab Emirates was primary destination at 67 MT (65.6%), tracked by Indonesia at 21 MT (20.4%), Thailand 6 MT (5.9%), United States 4 MT (4.1%) and six other countries that jointly accounted for 4 MT (4.0%). 

Completing the top 11 non-traditional export was COCO PEAT/DUST with revenue of USD115,753 from delivery of 2,105 MT (671 MT).  China was almost an only market at 2,015 MT (95.8%).  Other markets were South Korea at 46 MT (2.2%) and Taiwan at 43 MT (2.0%).

Designed and developed by WebFocus Solutions, Inc.